Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Ash Wednesday

I joined my friend and Episcopalian priest for an Ash Wednesday service tonight. With the ashes from the palm branches they used in their Palm Sunday service of 07 I was reminded that I am from dust and to dust I will return. After the service, one of the other priests who (like me) has a churches of Christ background asked me if I was confused. This year I think I could honestly say I wasn’t too confused. Though their worship service does differ from than my tradition and my preferences, I love the simple phrase which drew me to their service. “From dust you came, and to dust you will return.”

This year for Lent I will be drinking only water and milk (along w/ meal replacement/ protein shakes which are not really drinks) and at 2pm praying from Psalm 42, “My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?” It seems silly to give up Gatorade and orange juice for Jesus, but when I get done working in the yard in the humid Florida heat or lifting weights I am going to crave some Gatorade. Those thirsts will remind me of a greater thirst I have for Jesus which will be finally fulfilled when I return to dust.

6 comments:

Marc said...

sweet brother!
several months ago a young couple joined our church and small group, while the wife was studying in England they went to the Church of England. Through that year God taught them the joy in the and meanings of the ancient liturgy that we sometimes dismiss.

Their perspective really changed my view on some things.

so we had our first ever ash wednesday service last night. it was really meaningful.

I look forward to reading about your experiences over the season of lent.

Josh Graves said...

Powerful words Luke.

Thanks for posting.

Josh Ross said...

Glad you got to experience that.

Josh Graves said...

Ross is Catholic.

Luke said...

Marc- I have enjoyed participating in Lent for a few years now and each time it has enriched my Easter season.

Luke said...

Josh(s)-
Ross is a Catholic at heart- He once asked me to refer to him as St. Ross.

Graves- The priest at the Ash Wed service referred to your NY church story in his sermon. He said that Father Matthews talked about dusting off stuff at the church post 9-11, and he said that each time we dust something off (be it a pews for tired relief workers to rest on or candles to be lit) we make it sacramental because they connect us to God.