Friday, February 15, 2008

“What I meant to say was…”

This last week I have been almost completely worthless because of a nice fever and an ear infection. Don’t tell Jesus, but I have drunk some juice in order to get some Vitamin C. I am pretty sure he will not mind. Watching Roger Clemens getting grilled by the Democrats and worshiped by the Republicans on Wednesday was almost as bad as the fever.
____________
The wedding last Saturday started a few minutes late, but the nerves of the bride had showed up promptly for the rehearsal dinner and continued through the next day until the wedding started. The nervous bride, dressed in white, walked down the isle on the arm of her step-dad towards the front of the sanctuary where her excited groom met her.
They walked up the stairs to the stage where we began the service. As I began my sermon I made a comment along the lines of how it seemed that not too long ago they met at the bride’s place of work.

The entire audience erupted in laughter, and I was confused. I began backtracking trying to figure out what I had said. And then I realized the source of the humor.

I had said, “It seems like just a few weeks ago that you met for the first time at the Holiday Inn.”

As I tried to explain how she was a manager at Holiday Inn, I noticed that my snafu alleviated the bride’s nerves.

2 comments:

Clint said...

love it

Josh Graves said...

Lovely. That's why I like funerals better than weddings.