Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Books


Sunday I started reading Donald Miller's Through Painted Deserts and it wasn't as interesting to me as some of his other books which I have really enjoyed. But I have a 50 page minimum read before giving up on a book. 50 turned into a 100 and now I am over halfway through and just have to finish it. But here is a stinging quote about the hometown of my beloved Cowboys.

"It's an odd town, though. A big, Republican, evangelical city where you can't drink, girls wear black dresses for dates on Wednesday, and the goal is to join the local country club like your daddy and his daddy before him. When you build a city near no mountains and no ocean, you get materialism and traditional religion. People have too much time and lack inspiration."

I can assume Jerry Jones isn't going to invite him to Dallas to give a chapel talk to the Cowboys any time soon, but he wasn't half as critical of Dallas as Mark Gimenez was in his great book Color of Law.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Hey Luke,

I don't know if you remember me from Harding or not but I remember you! Looks like you are in Panama City with Philip and Daniel C. Good place to be. My wife and I are just down the road in St. Petersburg. Hope things are going well for you in PC. Philip emailed me with a link here and I am glad he did. I am going to add you to my blog list at my wordpress blog God bless,

Matt Dabbs

Luke said...

Matt- I do remember you. It's good to hear from you. I hope you guys are doing well.