Thursday, May 22, 2008

Signposts


While in school I was given the advice to find a favorite theologian and read everything he/she writes. A slapdash read of my posts will show that I chose N.T. Wright. (An author whose name is Wright seems to clearly be the right choice.) One of Wright’s dominant metaphors in his writing is a signpost. A signpost, according to NTW, doesn’t ever point to itself, but it points to something beyond. In Simply Christian NTW talks about four main signposts that point to something beyond this broken world; Justice, Community, Beauty and Spirituality. For example beauty is a signpost to something beyond (to mix my metaphors) like an engagement ring “which is meant as it is to delight the eye but which is meant even more to delight the heart because of what it promises.”

In my life some of the greatest signposts are my patient wife, loving family, supportive friends, the fulfillment I feel when talking or hearing about Jesus, post-workout endorphin rushes, and making a difference.

What are signposts for you?

No comments: