Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Emerging

From John Burke's No Perfect People Allowed
“Generally, emerging generations do not ask, ‘What is true?’ They are primarily asking, ‘Do I want to be like you?’ In other words, they see truth as relational. ‘If I want to be like you, then I want to consider what you believe. If I don’t see anything real or attractive in you or your friends as Christ-followers, I don’t care how true you think it is, I’m not interested.’”

The primary issue, according to Burke, isn’t orthodoxy anymore, it’s orthopraxy. The issue isn’t mainly what you think, but how you behave.
If this is an accurate depiction of the emerging generation, then do you think this makes it easier or more challenging for Christians?

________________________
On a side note, I have felt Avery kick in my smokin hot wife's belly, but now I have seen her kick in my baby's mama's belly. That's just amazing.

2 comments:

john alan turner said...

luke,
first of all: congrats on the kiddo. life will never be the same.

second of all, i think it's a false dichotomy to separate orthodoxy from orthopraxy. the truth is, for the most part, we do what we do b/c we believe what we believe.

in fact, i had a prof once who would say, "don't tell me what you believe. let me observe what you do, and i'll tell you what you really believe."

Luke said...

JAT- I agree that a more holistic approach is the healthier and most fruitful. This seems to be a change from the "right thinking" focus of earlier/enlightenment thinking.

I like the both/and instead of either/or.