Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Front Row Flirting

Here’s an unfortunately true story I am telling at RHCC this weekend during my sermon…

It was my first month at my first full-time job and I had just finished preaching when a girl came forward for prayer during the response time. I was feeling pretty good as she headed for the front pew, expecting to hear her tell me a life-changing insight that I shared during my sermon. Soon after she sat down, I stepped over towards her and took a seat next to her. I leaned over to find out how exactly I had changed her life, but she didn’t move. Not only did she not move over to converse with me, but she turned away from me. And she sat. I asked her what was wrong. And she sat, silent. So I motioned for an elder to help me out, and so he came and talked to her. And she actually talked to him.
Thirty minutes later the church building had almost emptied out, when her mother motioned me over towards the two of them and said,
Luke, I am really sorry that my daughter ignored you. She just thought that you were a boy on the front pew trying to flirt with her.
Which might possibly be understandable if I hadn't been preaching for the last thirty minutes. So I assume that she thought my sermon was the longest pick-up line in history.
When I actually said, “Open your Bibles to the book of Mark.”
She must have heard in her mind, “Hey girl, you come here often?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great story...

You know you are zoning out when you don't even recognize the guy who just preached for 30 minutes.

Jonathan Storment said...

That's so funny. "I leaned over to ask her exactly how I had changed her life." Greatness, you are going to rock at RHCC this weekend man!

Anonymous said...

hilarious!

Luke said...

Thanks guys and girl.
Heather I hope you think its still hilarious when I tell it at Shannon Oaks in a few weeks.

LST team to Morelia, MX 2010 said...

That is really funny, Luke - I laughed out loud! but will do the same this weekend just to make you feel good!!

~marilyn