Monday, March 23, 2009

Contentment

Hebrews 13:5- Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”
It seems odd that a verse on contentment would contain a quotation given to encourage Joshua as he takes over for Moses as the new leader of Israel. This verse has been stuck in my head for over a week now as I try to think of a connection between financial contentment and God’s faithful presence.
Contentment is a mentality that what you have is all that you really need, if not more than what you need. I don’t think a person can ever be content without being thankful and I think if you are good at one, then you will inevitably become good at the other. God, the dresser of the lilies of the fields and feeder of the birds of the air, will not take a day off from his job. So we are content whatever way God chooses to clothe us, without regard for the brand, and we are content whatever way God chooses to feed us, without regard to the culinary skillfulness. Whenever I find myself being discontent with my situation I try to list five things for which I am thankful and amazingly contentment seems to show up because God is pretty good about never leaving or forsaking us. And I am not saying this as someone who has always had financial things go my way. I have a house that's been on the market in Florida for 14 months now without an offer. I have prayed many times that God would send a buyer, and I have also prayed that God would send a hurricane, both to no avail. So obviously God isn't housing me the way that I would like Him to, but that doesn't mean God has forsaken me. I've actually seen God more in times of trials than in successes and I think that’s what contentment is really about, being ok regardless of the circumstance.

4 comments:

hoosier reborn said...

I suppose to say that a number of people are in your shoes right now with home sales is not comforting.

My wife and I made a commitment to each other before we were married, then again in our vows, to live simple lives dependent on God. It's amazing how often we find contentment just in recalling that.

Kurt

Luke said...

Thanks Kurt.
When I originally wrote that blog I didn't include anything about my housing mess b/c I didn't want people to feel bad for me. But as I was posting it my relator called, and so it snuck in the post.
We will be fine, especially if a hurricane would hurry up and hit my house.

Jonathan Storment said...

Good post Luke. I agree, I think that one of the most basic sins is discontentment. I think about David and Bathsheba, his sin was not just going after her, but forgetting what all God had given him. Nathan's parable to him was pretty clear on that.

Anyway, I am sorry about your house in Florida, but I am glad that you are here in Texas. Good luck on the hurricane plan.

Luke said...

Johnny Storm- I agree, but I also think the whole David having an affair and killing someone was pretty bad too.