Monday, January 26, 2009

100-0

"We played the game as it was meant to be played. My values and my beliefs would not allow me to run up the score on any opponent, and it will not allow me to apologize for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity."
Thus said the former coach from Covenant School of Dallas after his girl's basketball team won 100-0 over Dallas Academy (a school that specializes in helping kids with learning differences that happens to have been winless for four years). Teams lose, people lose. I personally lost my third ever varsity wrestling match in under 15 seconds (which almost takes talent to lose that fast). People get embarrassed in sports. But a coach who has his team play full-court press and shoot 3's after a 59-0 halftime lead has crossed a line. As a parent it would have been more palatable if my daughter were on the losing team, than the winning team because afterwards you cannot feeling guilty for being a bad basketball player, but you can feel guilty for having bad sportsmanship.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that was ridiculous. I couldn't believe that the coach didn't at least acknowledge he could have handled that game differently. Also, I have got to hear the story of you losing in 15 seconds, sounds like a good sermon illustration.

Josh Ross said...

I still remember the day that I beat you in 14 seconds. You claim 15, but it was actually 14.

The game was ridiculous. But hey, the guy got some playing time on Around the Horn and PTI!

Luke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Luke said...

Boss- That's funny, but you should stick w/ preaching and football.

Luke said...

Johnny Storm- That illustration wouldn't be nearly as good as your meat market wrestling singlet one.