Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Athletes and Faith

Recently someone asked, "How is God glorified through athletes and their professions of faith?" Here's my take, I would like to hear your take.

Our society has an odd obsession with athlete (and their wider category-celebrity) endorsements. I can understand why athletes can endorse athletic gear, but I don’t understand why Derek Jeter should influence my choice of facial razors (or cars from Tiger, cereal from Jordan or cell phone coverage from Phelps). And I really don’t understand why Tom Cruise should influence someone’s choice of postpartum medicine or any celebrity’s political views should influence anyone. But since these are the cards that we have been dealt in our culture, we might as well play them. For one of best examples of people using celebrity faith endorsements check out the I am Second campaign and (and for MMA fans check out the slightly out there Fighting with God conference).
My assumption is that celebrity endorsements don’t lead to conversions for many people, but people will allow these endorsements to validate their already established beliefs. I know if I had a football-loving boy I would be extremely grateful to show up at my in-laws church in Austin and see Colt McCoy there every week just as I would be thankful for Tim Tebow’s example and the obsessive/stalker tendency that FOX’s commentators displayed during the BCS championship of Tebow. Some might complain about many athletes peculiar use of scriptures (most notably Phil 4:13), but I am grateful for any person doing what they think is encouraging to other people and honoring to God.

6 comments:

III said...

Well said.

I **love** the "I am Second" campaign, BTW. If I was going to get Thom Brennamen-like lustful over an athlete like he did over Tebow in that BCS Championship Game, I think I would over Josh Hamilton. That's a man right there.

Luke said...

Hamilton is a stud. You've got to check out the episode on TLC of "Real Estate Pro's" in which he's on. It's great.

Marc said...

all i got to say is "fire it up!"

http://www.jesusracing.com.au/

Anonymous said...

Didn't Jesus say something like, "Even though we don't know them, if they are doing stuff in my name they can't be against us?"

Anonymous said...

The fighting with God conference you mentioned had over 600 people from the community come and watch the UFC on Saturday night after the event. Ken Shamrock gave his testimony and it was great! I figure if God has given certain people a platform that causes others to listen to them, and they want to talk about Jesus, we need to get them in front of people...
thanks for referencing the conference in a positive light, not everyone had the same view!

Luke said...

ScottK- Sounds like you were there for the Fighting w/ God conference, I would have been if it was closer. I am thankful for people using their talents to make a difference, even if that talent is punching or administering heel hooks.
I bet Shamrocks story is great, he sure has been through a lot.