Thursday, December 11, 2008

Water-parenting


Chief, my 90lb lap dog, has hunger issues. I am not talking about he gets hungry and stands by the food bowl. When Chief gets hungry in the morning, he starts scratching on the bedroom door. Because of the few days when I forgot to block the door back in Florida, I had to spend a morning filling in the grooves from his nails on our wooden door.
Last weekend I decided that I had enough of the scratching/blocking the door routine and only one solution existed, waterboarding. I placed a half full (or half empty-for our pessimistic readers) cup of water on top of the slightly cracked opened door and waited to wake up in the morning to a slightly drenched beast. Instead, the cup sat on top of a door that didn’t get scratched. Somehow that dog knew the trap. Three days later the other non-scratching dog, Chloe, bumped the door, got a little shower and scared both of them.
Now all I do is put an empty cup over the door and the door doesn’t get scratched.

Two thoughts-
1- Chief is a smart dog. Since I originally wrote this I have had to make a revision, I thought he was smart until just the other day when he ate a bottle full of Chloe’s Prozac and made me sit in a lonely vet room hoping his hunger wouldn’t kill him while he got his stomach pumped. Luckily It didn’t.
2- I hope that type of discipline works with Avery. If Avery comes home late for curfew, and she gets welcomed by a cup of water placed on the door. That will teach her to come home on time, right?

3 comments:

Clint said...

When I was 16 years old I began to stay out late. One night I came home at 3am. I saw my mom asleep on the couch and quietly opened the door. She had put a foot stool in front of the door and I knocked it over. She woke up looked at me and I went to bed. From that day forward I came home when I wanted, usually when the sun was coming up. So good luck with the cup of water.

Anonymous said...

haven't tried that one...

Luke said...

Clint- that's not necessarily what I was looking for. But thanks for sharing.
Avery has already agreed to a 9pm curfew for the rest of her life.