Monday, December 29, 2008

Christmas Karma

On Sunday afternoon I assumed that Karma would honor me for helping my father paint shelves as my fanatical Eagles fan brother opted to instead watch the early round of football games. The expected honor from Karma- a Cowboys victory over the Eagles.

A few hours later I received a text from my wife’s sister asking if I was in Hell because of watching the Cowboys embarrassment while next to my annoying Eagles’ fan brother.
To which I responded that I wasn’t in Hell, but actually in the Abilene police station.
She and her mother immediately assumed that I had been incarcerated because I had participated in a round of fisticuffs with the previously mentioned Eagle’s fan, which could have been a real possibility if I didn't have another reason to be at the jail.

As the story goes Karma didn’t hand me any post-Christmas presents, only two lumps of coal- another depressing December Dallas performance and a dent in the back of my truck from a driver who tried to park too close to my truck and then decided to drive off. Luckily a witness had a camera phone and the desire to call the cops, thus the trip to police station during the game. Unfortunately there is no law against the Cowboys collapsing in December.

The moral of the story: don’t do anything nice, ever.

FYI- I truly don't believe in Karma. I am more into Christianity than Buddhism.

10 comments:

III said...

How much do the teachings of Deuteronomy 28-29 relate to the idea of karma?

Luke said...

Philip good point. Here's my take.
The Deuteronic Theology (DT-as taught in Deut 28-29) reflects the starting point for Israel's take on what we call "Karma."
-I think the Proverbial wisdom of Solomon reflects a basic "Sow and Reap" ideology that just makes sense (ex.-If you sleep late in the day, you are going to be hungry b/c you aren't working) and though some might see DT in that, I don't.
-Later, Job's friend ascribe to this DT, and thus tell Job that he should confess his sin that has caused his plight. Job doesn't agree w/ DT and tells his friends (and I use the term "friend" loosely) that he hasn't sinned.
-Much Later, Jesus tells his followers that the handicapped boy was not in that state because of his sin or his parent's sin which again seems to contradict DT.

What do you think?

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry bro. Pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training soon.

You going to pull for the Titans in the playoffs this year? We welcome you...

hoosier reborn said...

yeah, not a huge football fan, I'll pull for the Colts, or Notre Dame-or at least feel sorry for ND; but even I'd have to say that was a sad performance against the Eagles. sorry Luke.

"be sure your sins will find you out" is that karma?

happy new year!

Luke said...

Cromer- I have turned my heart fully towards college bowl games now and soon will focus on Yankees and MMA until NFL free agency and the draft. Thanks for the invite, but it will just make me more upset b/c I thought Dallas should have drafted Chris Johnson and not Felix Jones.

Luke said...

Kurt- I hope you are enjoying some snow up there. It still seems weird for me to not have snow on Christmas day, but I don't miss shoveling snow.

"Sins will find you out"- without knowing the context of that phrase here is my take on that.
Sin has natural consequences- For example if you sleep around it makes it a whole lot more difficult to enjoy the benefits of later on being in a faithful monogamous relationship (though w/ God its possible).
Though similar to Karma's (as I understand) teaching that all bad will be repaid, I think its missing the totality of Karma. Because there are many sins that don't find us out in the way they should, and many bad things happen that aren't punishment to sin.

hoosier reborn said...

interesting context for that passage, Numbers 32:23, shows God commanding certain tribes to cross the Jordan and fight and if they don't it would be counted as sin-and it would be exposed.

I think your point on sleeping around/enjoying married life later is right on...people live with the consequences of sin, but even more sadly, some do not understand the joy of forgiveness/grace....the opposite of karma, i think?

30 below wind temps on the 21st and 62/sunny on the 27th. when we get more snow, i'll send it your way.

Luke said...

I agree that grace isn't apart of a Karma oriented world.
You can keep the below 30's weather up in Indiana. FYI- when I went to the gym this morning w/ shorts on I was a little bit cold until my heater turned on. I couldn't do that back in OH.

hoosier reborn said...

I think living in the south has made you soft!..I went to the coffee shop in shorts just the other morning.

best of the new year to you and your ministry.

Anonymous said...

hey luke its jacob harrison
try to guess which cowboys players name you can spell using the letters in avery's name
The comment is a bit delayed.... but I don't have your cell or email.... shoot me a line. But when we got Avery's birth announcement - it was on the island the next morning eating breakfast and Jacob said "look you can spell .....'s name with the letters in Avery's name - I guess that's why Luke picked that name." We think of you guys often - and hope all is progressing well with your work for the church plant.... Go Gators! I know you'll be wearing your orange and blue. I guess you know that Tebow, Percy and Urban have 5 letters just like Avery, Chief and Chloe.... pretty neat - don't ya think?