Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Miracles

For the last five years Lindsay has woken up to the sound of an alarm clock blaring country music at a decibel level that would cause blood to trickle out of the ears of many earthlings. She couldn’t wake to an alarm any quieter and still many 5am mornings she would sleep through the sonorous sounds of Garth Brooks at ear piercing levels until I gently encouraged her to respond. On many of these mornings I woke with dreams of slinging my Maglite into this evil alarm clock.
But a miracle happened about three months ago and she has changed my life. She has also changed Lindsay’s sleeping. Lindsay now will wake up to the slightest movement or sound by our daughter. I cannot explain how a person miraculously changes like that other than a God placed deep longing to love and nurture.

“Believing in ‘miracles’, in the eighteenth-century sense, is no good as a test of genuine Christianity… the eighteenth-century idea of a ‘miracles’ envisaged a ‘God’ who was a remote, detached Being, who normally kept his hands clean from involvement with the space-time universe, but just occasionally used to ‘intervene’… What if the word ‘God’ itself might refer, not to this distant, remote, occasionally-intervening Being, but to a God who breathed with the breath of the world? … by being active within his creation… He put into their inmost beings, as creatures made to reflect his image into his world, a deep desire for one another, and a deep longing to create and nurture order and beauty within creation.”


NT Wright "Who was Jesus?"

6 comments:

hoosier reborn said...

ah, right on....I didn't know how to truly love until I met my wife..and I didn't get how God could truly love until we had our son....nor the sacrifice He made.

btw....get that thing out of your hand, unless you like using it to scare little children.

hope your transition is going well.
Kurt

Luke said...

Kurt- God does have a way of working through the most intimate relationships like wife and kids....

FYI- that thing is still enjoy its stay in my hand.

Pretty good thoughts, glad you haven't lost your ability to think since you are now 40.

Anonymous said...

Luke, has God worked the same miracle inside of you? Do you wake up now at the slightest sound or is that only a mommy thing?

Luke said...

BC- I already woke up that easily. Especially when my dogs start scratching on the door for breakfast, though Lindsay still sleeps through that (or atleast pretends to)

hoosier reborn said...

yeah, thanks for reminding me-I married 8 yrs younger though, so people assume I'm closer to 30-for now.

BC-God does work similar miracles in men, since the birth of our kids I've lost my sense of smell and I can now sleep through anything. Our God is awesome!

kurt

Jonathan Storment said...

I love N.T. Wright. It must have been a really good friend who got you that book.