Thursday, March 20, 2008

Books and BoSoxs/Yankees

While the Red Sox Nation waited to see if their team would play after the Sox were striking for another 40K, the Yankees were helping the Virginia Tech community continue to heal from the shooting months ago by playing an exhibition game in Blacksburg (and giving a nice million dollar check from the Steinbrenners). A Hokie student asked Jeter to pose for a pic next to the stone in memory of her late fiancĂ©, a Jeter fan. If that thought doesn’t get you choked up, like A-Rod in October, you are heartless. For more on the (dare I say) Christ like behavior of the Yankees check out Cromer’s blog .
___________________________________________

I was recently asked to give the most influential books I have read. In the last few years I said - Simply Christian- NT Wright & Simple Church-Rainer (In my opinion it could be simpler by being edited down, but still a great model for church). I might eventually add How (Not) to Talk about God- Rollins.

What are your three most influential books?

7 comments:

III said...

Actually, the Red Sox players did not get a dime out of their strike. The $40K was money that was promised for the support staff, who don't make the big bucks: $40,000 is as big a deal to them as it is to us. And when it was promised some months ago, the support staff budgeted according. And then MLB wanted to take it back So the players threatened to strike & miss a paycheck of their own. You could say they were enacting 2nd Corinthians 8:9 while the Steinbrenner's were were letting their left hand know what their right hand was doing.

So who's more Christ-like now? ;)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Terry Francona needs an extra $40 grand. As my good friend, Borat says, "NOT!" I'm going to China this summer, does that mean that SOC should give me $40 grand more than my normal salary?

My 3 Most Influential books:
Messy Spirituality - Yaconnelli
Case for Faith - Strobal
I Am Not But I Know I Am - Giglio

(I really like the book of Romans too, but I didn't want to be "that guy" who says the Bible.)

Luke said...

III- 40K for support staff or 40K for Big Papi- You say Tomato, I say Tomato. =)

Cromer- I think you should ask for a 40K bonus. And I don't think I have read any of your books, except Romans. I have read some of Case for Faith, but I am not a big apologetics guy.

Josh Graves said...

The Challenge of Jesus (Wright)
Kite Runner
The Jesus Way (Peterson)


Those are the most influential books of 2007.

Anonymous said...

A New Kind of Christian - McLaren
Letters from the Earth - Twain
Life Together - Bonhoeffer

Josh Ross said...

The Bishop of Rwanda--John Rucyahana
Speaking of Sin--BBT
The Jesus Way--Peterson
Prayer--Yancey
Simple Church--Rainer & Geiger
The Shack...I'll stop there.

I'm not even going to comment on the Yanks. It is clear that you can't see straight.

Shane said...

How (Not) to Speak of God--Rollins
Suprised By Hope--Wright
Shaping of Things to Come--Frost/Hirsch
A Community Called Atonement--McKnight
Ragamuffin Gospel--Manning