Monday, February 9, 2009

A-Roid


As some of you know, It has just come to the light that the most hated MVP currently in baseball, Alex Rodriguez, tested positive for PED's in 2003. Now it will be interesting to see how he responds. Some have tried to deny it (see-Clemens, Roger or Bonds, Barry) and thus were vilified. Others have admitted to using steroids (see-Giambi, Jason) and seem to be absolved by the media. I for one would like to see some honesty, because for such a cynical society, we have a strong propensity for forgiveness.
Why do you think we quickly forgive these athletes when they admit it, but so voraciously try to destroy them if they don't?

4 comments:

III said...

Please forgive me if I'm not as forgiving over this news as I perhaps should be. I'm more in line with This ESPN writer's reflections.

Although, if I believed he was coming clean, I probably would be more forgiving. I guess it goes along with Psalms 32 -- there is a catharsis in speaking openly & truthfully about past transgressions that liberates everyone from the burden of carrying it around anymore.

Jonathan Storment said...

Yeah, I am with Phillip. This is very disappointing. It's hard to find anyone to look up in sports today. If there is a shortcut to take almost everyone takes it. I guess the fault lays on us the fan as well. Athletes have tremendous pressure to not only succeed, but to surpass all those who've gone before them.

Not a cop out for A-Rod, but the law of escalation has something to do with the willingness of most athletes to cheat.

hoosier reborn said...

It goes to the heart of our nature. We go after these guys like pit bulls so that they admit that they're no better than us. Somehow that makes us (and the press) feel better about our own crap.

Seems like they've given up on preachers and politicians...what might that mean?

Josh Ross said...

How about a new post!?!?!?!