Friday, August 8, 2008

Pressure Washing

As we prepare to move to Texas and sell our house (hopefully) here in Florida, I did some pressure washing the other day. Pressure washing cleaned off almost everything that covered my driveway and sidewalk. Thankfully it removed the dirt that covered the concrete, but I wasn’t as pleased when the pressure washing allowed me to see a massive crack in my sidewalk that until then I didn’t even know existed.

Isn’t that just like life? Pressure and stressful situations remove the pleasantries that often mask some really beautiful traits that we often don’t see and unfortunately pressure can also shows some character flaws that we gladly keep hidden. When in stressful situations you get a clear shot at your true character including the cracks that you try to hide. In the new Batman movie, the Joker seemed to think the same thing. If he put chaos into peoples' lives he thought their cracked humanity would show (remind anyone of a book in the Old Testament?).

Thankfully plenty of people still have amazing character that shines even brighter in pressure situations.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great thought...

Same idea as comparing people and sponges. How do you find out what is on the inside of a sponge? You squeeze it. How do you find out what is on the inside of a person? You squeeze him/her.

We are such pastors...always thinking in analogy.

Luke said...

I am actually a church Planter not a pastor, fyi.
But yeah, always analogies.

Matthew said...

Great illustration and point. I might use it myself.

Luke said...

Matthew- steal away, I myself do that often.

Jim The Handyman said...

The blog is fantastic…keep up the good work…I really liked your work.
handyman services in northern Virginia