Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Mortality

Saturday evening one of my workout partners had some friends over to watch the Mayweather-Hatton boxing match. Despite my lack of interest in boxing, I attended to get to spend sometime with friends. The constant references to me as “Rev” or “Pastor” drew attention from the host’s non-gym friends. After going through the typical conversation “So you aren't the youth pastor, but the Senior Pastor? You like get up and preach on Sunday mornings?” One guy started to share his spiritual journey with me.
“My wife and I lost our twenty year old son three months ago. We stopped attending church and our Bible class after his death. We didn’t receive any contact from anyone in our Bible class or church until a month later when a one lady stopped by to tearfully share her apologizes for not stopping by sooner.” He went on to say, “My wife is more emotional than me, but we cannot imagine going back there with those people. That’s why we are looking for a new church.”
Suffering with a couple who lost their son brings us to a sense of our own mortality that many of us don’t want to get in the ring with. The mortality of our twenty year old son’s and daughter’s is something we don’t want to get face to face with. Many of us, like their tearful friend, just don’t know what to say. Words do little justice to their plight, but it seems this couple was not looking for words to make their world right. They knew their friends were sorry. They knew their friends had no words that would bring him back. It seems that they just wanted someone to be sorry with them, someone to suffer with them.

5 comments:

Josh Ross said...

We (the church) have got to learn how to lament. At SWC, we don't have a choice right now. We have people dying almost every other week. Every couple of months, we honor those that are grieving. We sing lament hymns. We pray prayers. We give people a voice.

Anonymous said...

Being young and lacking in life experience, my favorite type of ministry is "Ministry of Presence." I don't have to say anything or think anything. I just have to be there. Your post reminds me of how important it is to be present in "those" times of life. Thanks for reminding me.

Luke said...

Charlton- we are both on the same page.
Hope you are doing well.

Boss- I would love to be there for a lament service.

Anonymous said...

Luke -

I know that Seinfeld spoofed the insincerity of the whole "there for you" business in one episode, but I learned just how powerful "being there" can be at a devo one night when I was a Youth Minister.

One of the boys commented that one of the things he liked about me was that I always cheered people up. Surprised by the remark, I responded, "But, I never know what to say."

One of the girls looked at me and said, "Steve, you don't have to say anything. You're just always there."

That was when I learned the power of presence. If we'll just be available ... if we'll just show up ... even if we're very uncomfortable ... Jesus will do the rest. He knows what to do when we don't. His power is perfected in our weaknesses.

These days when I encounter people who are hurting, I say a lot less and listen a lot more ... thanks to some very wise high school students ... and a very patient Savior.

Thank you for sharing this story.

May you never underestimate the beauty and the power of sincerely and compassionately "being there" for people in need.

Luke said...

Steve- i think that you are right on.