Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Give'em Heaven

A few weeks ago on a Wednesday morning at the gym, Chuck walked over to me as he was leaving. Chuck, a very kind friend and a California native who has two grown sons and a strong distrust for organized religion. He hasn’t entered a church building since a few decades ago when he heard a sermon on not lusting after women in the church choir. He surprised me when he asked if I was preaching that night, and I told him that I would be teaching a men’s class on David.
“What are you talking about?”
Slightly taken back, I mumbled into a brief history about David.
“Isn’t he the one with the coat?” he said.
“No, that’s Joseph. David is the one who fought Goliath. But tonight we are getting to the part after he gets his bodyguard’s wife pregnant”
He interrupts and says, “So he’s like Clinton?”
“Well, I guess so. Except he killed the husband of the girl after getting her pregnant.”
“Really? Is that in there?”
“Yeah, the Bible’s got some pretty shady stories.”
Chuck nods with interest.
As he starts to walk off he says, “Alright Luke, Give ’em hell tonight.”
The irony caused me to immediately become reticent, but I offered up a parting wave.
And then said to myself, “Did that just happen?”

Hopefully in conversations like that we give ’em a little bit of heaven.

No comments: