Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Daily Salvation

Jacob, still limping from his wrestling match with God, finally faces the victim of his incessant deceit, his brother Esau. Instead of killing his dishonest brother, Esau decides to give salvation to this undeserving recipient. Jacob in response to this magnanimous act says that in the face of Esau he has seen the face of God. In reconciling with his undeserving brother, Esau isn’t just the hands and feet of God. He is the face of God.

Here’s a Barbara Brown Taylor quote from "Leaving Church"-
"Then I spoke with Rob, whose job would be placed in jeopardy by my leaving. My conversation with him was the hardest one, as well as the one in which I was prepared to accept the most blame. When this young priest received my news with grace instead of anger, he reminded me that salvation is not something that happens only at the end of a person’s life. Salvation happens every time someone with a key uses it to open a door he could lock instead."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Luke -

I believe this is your best post so far.

Thank you for unlocking so many doors for me. May our Father station Christ-like key-keepers at every locked door that awaits you.

Steve Dye

Luke said...

Steve-
I agree those two stories are very powerful to read. But I find them tough to live out.

L

Anonymous said...

Luke -

Me too ... but with Jesus' help ... we'll get there. He's the One with the key to that door.

~sd